5 deaths in Harare as typhoid continues to spread

Zimbabwe typhoid victim 

By Alex Bell
07 December 2012

Zimbabwe’s capital city remains on high alert because of the ongoing spread of typhoid, with at least five related deaths registered in Harare since October.

These latest deaths have been recorded mainly in the Glenview suburb where a fresh outbreak was reported in October, a year since the first outbreak in Harare in 2011. Residents in Dzivarasekwa have also been warned about an outbreak of the disease there, where the local clinic has been transferring about 15-16 people to Beatrice Infectious Hospital everyday since last week. According to a local residents association, the main bulk of the patients have been pupils from Nhamburiko Primary school.

Harare City Health Deputy Director Dr Prosper Chonzi said other new cases have also been reported in Mabvuku, Tafara and other suburbs that have no access to clean water.

“The fight against typhoid which began in the city last year is far from over as we continue to record fresh outbreaks,” he said.

Typhoid cases have been reported in different parts of Zimbabwe since last year, with the worst affected areas being the densely populated suburbs around Harare’s centre, including Kuwadzana and Mufakose. More cases have been reported throughout the year in Bindura, Mashonaland Central and Norton and Zvimba in Mashonaland West. Chitungwiza and Kadoma have also reported serious outbreaks with the local authorities being blamed for failing to provide clean water.

The latest outbreak in and around Harare brings the number of suspected cases registered across the country to about 5,000. In February this year the Health Ministry admitted it was not on top of the situation, with a critical lack of medicine and clean water hampering treatment and prevention efforts. Many local councils too have been unable to provide proper sanitation to their residents, blaming broken down sewerage systems and water pipes for this failure.

Dr. Rutendo Bonde, the chairperson of the Zimbabwe Doctors for Human Rights, told SW Radio Africa on Friday that until lasting measures to combat water shortages, water provision and sewage maintenance, diseases like typhoid will continue to be a threat.

Bonde meanwhile said that there are basic measures of prevention that can be adopted if possible, including following simple sanitation routines. She said measures like hand washing are critical to stop the disease spreading further.

To contact this reporter email [email protected] or follow on Twitter



4 Responsesto “5 deaths in Harare as typhoid continues to spread”

  1. Chimbwido Warvet says:

    This is an AIDS related illness which has no relevancy to the typhoid disease. Any medical doctor worthy his/her name will tell you that typhoid does not decimate a human being in ways that are shown in the above picture. But be as it may, it is a responsibility that should be shared by ZANU PF, MDC-T and MDC-N and other political parties in Zimbabwe in alleviating the problem.

  2. Tops says:

    It should have been a sudden attack coz she still have her nails polished!

  3. wilbert_mukori says:

    Zimbabweans have to learn that until we have good governance the nation’s political and economic problems will only get worse! Free and fair elections is the very heart and soul of good governance. Sadly, this GNU have failed to implement the reforms and write a democratic constitution and therefore the next elections will not be free and fair. And therefore Zimbabwe will not have good governance!

    The nation’s hopes of getting out of this hell-hole are totally dependent on rejecting the Copac rubbish and thus force the implementation of the reforms.

  4. Common Sense says:

    Very very sad…. regardless of the politics… I feel for our people who deserve a better, healthy life