Mugabe to use conference as rallying call to unite divided party

Robert Mugabe and Grace at a previous party conference

By Tichaona Sibanda
07 December 2012

Robert Mugabe will use his annual party conference in Gweru to rally his deeply divided supporters to prepare for next year’s crucial elections.

The party conference opens in the Midlands capital on Friday and is expected to be attended by 5,000 activists. The 88 year-old octogenarian has acknowledged that there is infighting in his party that threatens to derail their chances of winning elections against rival Morgan Tsvangirai, President of the MDC.

Addressing Central Committee members in Harare ahead of Friday’s opening, Mugabe highlighted that next year’s elections provided them with an opportunity to reclaim sole control of the country.

Mugabe and Tsvangirai have been locked in a shaky power-sharing government since the last elections in 2008 but this time ZANU PF is hoping for a resounding victory against the MDC formations.

‘It is important comrades, that our victory in the harmonised elections should leave no room for doubt in our contestants. Our performance in the elections should certainly disentangle us from the inclusive government monster which, like a behemoth, has pulled back our pro-people programmes,’ Mugabe said.

Our Bulawayo correspondent Lionel Saungweme told us apart from endorsing Mugabe as the presidential candidate for next year’s election, the conference will be used to lampoon ZANU PF’s opponents and Western countries.

The conference comes at a time when ZANU PF is reportedly broke, but questions have been raised as to where they got the funding to construct the $6 million state-of-art conference centre.

‘They built a $6 million conference but delegates are being forced to buy their own food. They are combing the city for places where they can buy decent meals.

‘Accommodation is being provided at Chaplin High, Cecil John Rhodes Primary School, Kaguvi Training Centre and at Mlezu Agricultural College, but there is no bed linen there, it’s all a mess,’ Saungweme said.

7 Responsesto “Mugabe to use conference as rallying call to unite divided party”

1. Chimbwido Warvet says:

The heading or title of the story should read or captioned as ‘Mugabe to use the conference as rallying call to unite the people of Zimbabwe’. Oh Gosh, no, no Aah, will Tichaona Sibanda ever learn a thing? This boy is just as hopeless as Tererai Karimakwenda, an idiot who does not know whether he is coming or going and if so where.

• Tora Bora says:

Mugabe is trying to unify his psrty. This is party business and has nothing to do with the majority that don’t support the moribung party. I know the Gukurahundis are not paying for the use of the several schools for accommodation. This is not government business. This is the reason Zupco went under. Buses were used to ferry people to several meetings and the Zanoids did not pay. Airzim is in the same boat as Matibili used to commandeer aircraft at short notice. If you have a beef with SWradio, please stop visiting their website.

• Chimbwido Warvet says:

Young man, I thought you were a rational and logical animal but I note you are just as too pig headed and stupid as your leader Tsvangirai. I have been talking about the heading of the story above and you introduce a totally different story that has no relevance to the issues at stake. I want to be your nice friend, but for heavens’ sake let us be rational and logical if we are to be friends. I do not fancy a stupid relationship because I am not.

• GBZ says:

Tora Bora, let us stop connecting with this idiot. He has nothing to contribute except a toxic diatribe of moronic irritating stupidity that has no foundation and makes no sense at all and we should not lower ourselves into his pit of stench. He does not have the ability to see any sense in decent debate, so let him have his little bit on the sideline and take no notice of him. I come on to the threads to see what sane debate is contributing and all I see is intellegent people arguing with this fool! For goodness sake if we ignore the smell it will eventually drift away.

• Chimbwido Warvet says:

Do you agree with this filth that is coming from the mouth of a rhodie. I have said it before this GBZ is full of sh.t because he thinks he can silence the Warvet, something nobody has been able to do for years I have been contributing on this site. And this stupid and foolish GBZ thinks is too clever to do what others have failed to do. Let me put it this way. I just put my views across and I do not expect anyone to disagree or respond negatively to my well thought out ideas. If nobody responds to my article, for me it means people agree with me, that is the bottom line. Ok mate? In any case, I do not f….ng care whether or not any person responds to my articles. If anything, that is what I would like to see.

2. news says:

John Nkomo rumuored to have passed away sat 8 dec bulawayo

3. Gwaya says:

the devil is in the detail. Did u see the old mans party election suit? Hunzi Vote Zanu Pf 2005! Look at the collar on his yellow suit….