Government suspends help to special schools

Zim children on their way to school in the Bulawayo area

By Mthulisi Mathuthu
SW Radio Africa
06 February 2014

The education of children with disabilities is in jeopardy after government suspended a special scheme that entitles them to free primary school education.

Reports Thursday said the secretary for the Social Welfare ministry, Ngoni Masoka, recently told his primary and secondary education colleagues of the development.

Called the Basic Education Assistance Module (BEAM), the programme assists children from poor backgrounds with school fees. According to the department of social services there are one million children in the programme.

Last month director of social services, Sydney Mhishi, told parliament that his ministry received only $15 million for the special programme even though they had asked for a budget allocation of $73 million.

Mishi also revealed that Zimbabwe had approached the British government for help, a development which the Department for International Development confirmed.

But around the same time former education minister David Coltart raised concern over the lack of transparency and the partisan way in which the BEAM programme is managed.

Head of the Council of Social Workers, Philip Manyanye, said the government should ‘go down to basics’ and ensure that more funding goes towards children. He said if the government has no money it should be ‘honorable enough to revise its politics and approach the many organizations that are willing to help.’

Manyanye said he was ‘not surprised’ by lack of support for BEAM because the government has ‘no relationship with many institutions that could support the scheme.’

Manyanye, a senior social worker himself, said the effect of the suspension of the BEAM scheme stands to cause more social problems such as street children and child labour.

The decision by government to discontinue the BEAM scheme comes at a time when parliament is trying to tackle the broader problems of people living with disabilities. A Thursday NewsDay report said senators last week introduced a motion urging government to institute a national special needs policy and a law to deal with children with special needs.



3 Responsesto “Government suspends help to special schools”

  1. THE BLACK ARISTOCRAT says:

    Mugabe and Zanu PF could solve this problem overnight by diverting the $2 billion a year they brazenly steal from the Nation’s diamond and gold mines to the treasury, and instead spend it on Zimbabwe’s schoolchildren, schools, wrecked infrastructure and hospitals, rather than the their $25 million private jets, 50 bed mansions, fleets of executive cars, designer clothes and servants.

    What these knuckleheads fail to understand is that no government or charity in their right mind is going to lend money to a criminally corrupt regime ‘running’ one of the poorest countries in the world, all the time it’s appalling leaders live the lives of billionaires !

    If the Zanu criminals and corrupt military chiefs were walking around stick thin in rags and living in small huts alongside most of their ‘people’ , the international community might see things a little differently, but all the time these repulsive clinically obese thieves dress in expensive European designer clothes, fly around in $25 million private jets, live in 50 bed mansions stuffed full of servants, and divert the Nation’s diamond cash into offshore bank accounts for their own use, they will be treated by the international community and Zimbabwean people with the total contempt they richly deserve!

  2. Susan Clarke says:

    Why doesn’t someone from Social Services visit Riverside Stimulation Centre in Bulawayo and see for themselves what the school is doing regarding total Inclusive Education, maybe then they will realise how important it is for BEAM to continue!!!!

  3. cheqmayt says:

    Cashbert Dube could easily pay all these kids fees kkk

Leave a Reply