Two Zims killed in SA xenophobia attack

Xenophobic attack in Jo’burg 2008

Staff reporter
18th February 2014

On Monday the Chronicle newspaper reported that two Zimbabweans had died at the hands of a mob of South Africans in Thohoyandou in the Limpopo province. Three others were injured. The paper said that the attack took place the week before.

The report said the two men who were killed had been abducted from their homes, taken to a secluded area and assaulted. One died instantly, the other died later in hospital.

South African police commander, General Nyiketani Baloyi confirmed the incident:“We received reports of attacks on foreigners during which two Zimbabweans were killed. We have taken a decision that this matter be thoroughly investigated. We have since launched an operation to clear the area. What is happening cannot be allowed in South Africa and we will leave no stone unturned and all perpetrators of violence will be brought to book.”

The victims’ names were not released.

For some time foreigners living in the area have been blamed for an increase in crime. Zimbabweans were quoted saying they were being ‘chased’ from one township to another. Another Zimbabwean said: “Not all foreigners are criminals and most of us are here in South Africa legally. We are law-abiding and making an honest living.”



One Responseto “Two Zims killed in SA xenophobia attack”

  1. Tiger Shona says:

    We all know that Zimbabweans are great workers and are going all over the globe to get employment, as there they are unable to find it in Zimbabwe. Never mind what that idiot called CW is saying.
    The death of these people should be laid at the door of Robert Mugabe.

Leave a Reply