At least 5,000 children raped every year

More than 5,000 children are raped every year in Zimbabwe. Picture from ZimEye

By Nomalanga Moyo
SW Radio Africa
20 May 2014

More than 5,000 children are raped every year in the country, gender Minister Oppah Muchinguri revealed last week. It has also been reported that police officers believe the actual number may be far higher, because so many of the crimes are not reported.

The minister was speaking to Mutare residents at an event held at the border city where she also revealed that the majority of the perpetrators are never prosecuted.

In her speech Muchinguri said rapists should be jailed for at least 30 years and argued that the offence should be treated no differently from murder, the Daily News quoted her as saying.

She also noted that most incidents of child sexual abuse and rape happen within the family set up, with male relatives often being the perpetrators.

“The police should arrest these murderers because raping a child is as good as killing them. We want perpetrators to be jailed for at least 30 years.”

Rogue traditional healers who misadvise those with the incurable HIV/AIDS that raping a virgin will cure them, should also be jailed for 30 years, Muchinguri said.

She urged parents to concern themselves more with the well-being of their children saying this helps to build trust, making it easier for minors to open up if they are being abused.

Taylor Nyanhete, director at child rights group Zimbabwe National Council for the Welfare of Children, said a lot still needs to be done to protect children, and called on families to report abusers to the police.

“It is very worrying that in most cases the people such as parents, guardians, neighbours and teachers who are supposed to protect the children are the perpetrators of sexual violence against children,” said Nyanhete.

Nyanhete said his organisation will soon launch a campaign to raise awareness on the rape issue and encourage communities to protect the vulnerable who include women and children.

He noted that many cases go unreported because the children do not know who to trust or because families choose to sweep it under the carpet resulting in many sex offenders going unpunished, Nyanhete said.

Nyanhete encouraged rape victims to report as soon as they can, saying genuine cases have collapsed because police would have failed to find evidence.

Gender rights activist Edinah Masanga warned that demanding that rape victims “bring or preserve evidence” can potentially hinder them from reporting, given the intrusive nature of the crime.

Last year, women’s rights groups raised concern that cattle rustlers were getting harsher penalties than rapists despite the obvious gravity of rape.

But Nyanhete said there were encouraging signs that the courts were beginning to respond to calls by rights groups to hand down deterrent sentences.

Nyanhete cited as an example the recent case of church pastor Robert Gumbura who was sentenced to 40 years in prison for raping female congregants.

“Rape is a serious crime and it is important that sentences given to offenders reflect the seriousness of this offence.”

He said the high figure of 5,000 indicates that more child abuse cases were now being reported, and called on rights group to step up their awareness campaigns.

“We feel regular communities outreach programmes are key to the fight against rape so that children know where to go when they experience rape, and also for communities to know that rape is a crime,” he added.

Last year police figures showed that 240 children were sexually abused each month.

7 Responsesto “At least 5,000 children raped every year”

1. Dyrdek Rob says:

2. Dyrdek Rob says:

i was diagnosed with HIV/AIDS for over 5 years which made loose my job and my relationship with my fiance after he discovered that i was having HIV, he departed from me i tried all my best to make him stays with me, but neglected me until a friend of mine on Facebook from Singapore told me Great healer, who will restore my life back with his powerful healing spell, he sent me the email address to contact ([email protected]) and i quickly contacted him, and he said my condition can solved, that he will treat the disease immediately only if i can accept trust him and accept his terms and condition, i Agreed because i was so much in need of help by all means, so i did all he want from me and surprisingly on Sunday last week He sent me a text, that i should hurry up to the hospital for a checkup, which i truly did, i confirm from my doctor that i am now ( HIV NEGATIVE) my eyes filled with tears and joy, crying heavily because truly the disease deprived me of many things from my life, This is a Miracle, Please do not en-devour to email [email protected], or [email protected] for healing and solution….

3. John Williams says:

4. John Williams says:

its a pleasure for me to write this testimony about this wonderful thing that happened to me last week on how i got my HIV aids cured, i have been reading so-many post of some people who were cured of HIV, but i never believed them, I was hurt and depressed so I was too curious and wanted to try dr.Ariba then i contacted him on his email on [email protected], when i contact him, he assured me 100% that he will heal me, i pleaded with him to help me out, its a great success that he healed just as he promised, he told me that in three days time that i should go and check on my HIV status, I was floored that when i went to the hospital to check of my status that i was HIV negative, i never thought possible that dr.Ariba can do miracles, i never really believed in magic but I played along with a little hope and and faith and after everything but dr ARIBA changed my life and made me a true believer you can contact him on [email protected], or [email protected] he can help you out….

5. Cieble Jen says:

I am ceble jen USA, i navel believe that hiv cure is real on till i got in contact with Dr. dr abiola, my HIV stated eight years ago, i was even waiting for death because all my money went out for drug, which keep me till today, one day i saw in the interment that HIV cure is out i then email Dr abiola and he prepare the herb for me which i took, after taking it he told me to go to the hospital which i did, could you believe that i was confirm HIV negative after the test, and i went to another hospital and it was also negative. if you have this problem and you want to be free from it please contact this doctor with this email address [email protected] , he is the best HIV cure you will find in the whole world. thank you Dr abiola am free now,,,,,

6. Helen Tolbert says:

7. Helen Tolbert says:

Dr. Ariba God will continue to bless you more abundantly, for the good works you are doing in peoples life, I will keep on writng and posting testimonies about you on the Internet, I’m Helen Tolbert, I was a HIV patient, I saw a blog on how Dr. Ariba cured someone, I contacted him and also got my healing, kindly email him now on [email protected] Or [email protected] email me on [email protected]………..