According to an alert from the Media Institute for Southern Africa (MISA-Zimbabwe chapter) the editor of the weekly Zimbabwe Independent newspaper Constantine Chimakure, and senior political reporter Wongai Zhangazha, spent 4 hours being questioned by police from the Law and Order Section on Tuesday.
The police harassment stemmed from a July story published by the paper titled “Ministers rejected Kasukuwere plan”. In the story ministers from the two MDC formations are said to have resisted attempts by Youth Development, Indigenisation and Empowerment Minister Saviour Kasukuwere to re-introduce the controversial youth militia training.
Police are said to have recorded statements from both Chimakure and Zhangazha, while trying to intimidate the journalists into revealing their sources. The Mugabe regime is claiming the story was based on discussions in cabinet and that it is an offence under the Official Secrets Act to disclose those details. Chimakure has since stated that the story did not originate from Cabinet.
Meanwhile the Chairman of the Zimbabwe Media Commission (ZMC), Godfrey Majonga, has warned that foreign newspapers circulating in the country risk being banned if they do not register under the draconian Access to Information and Protection of Privacy Act (AIPPA). "We will use the police to confiscate all copies until the newspapers abide by what we want," Majonga said on Friday.
"They are supposed to remit 0.01 percent of their earnings to ZMC if they are operating in Zimbabwe. They are printed outside the country, don't import newsprint or create employment," he argued.
But MISA said: “The threat will have a negative impact on the citizens' right to access diverse information as it will push the cover prices of foreign newspapers at a time when Zimbabweans are struggling to make ends meet.” The media pressure group said newspapers will become a luxury that only the elite will have access to.
In July it was reported the principals from all three parties in the coalition had agreed to appoint new boards for the Broadcasting Authority of Zimbabwe, ZBC and the Mass Media Trust, in order for there to be true and inclusive media reforms. But ZANU PF has continued to stall on this, amid clear signs they are not interested in freeing up the airwaves or loosening their control of state owned newspapers.
In May the broadcasting authority board called for applications for two commercial radio licences. By the end of June deadline a reported 15 entities had put in applications. But since then nothing has been heard.
In July the same body told a Parliamentary portfolio committee that even though they had called for radio licence applications it could take up to 18 months to grant them - a clear indication ZANU PF wants to ensure there will be no independent radio until after the elections.